Oversea Chinese Mission, New York, New York
Categories: Chinese Ministry Pastor
Church Size: 1501-2000
Position Title: Pastor of Cantonese Ministry
Reports to: Senior Pastor
- The Pastor of Cantonese Ministry will assist the Senior Pastor to oversee a Biblical ministry for the Cantonese speaking congregation of the Oversea Chinese Mission.
- Will provide pastoral leadership in promoting a growing Christian life both individually and within the church body.
- Will nurture and shepherd the Cantonese speaking congregation.
- Will actively seek to identify, disciple and prepare Biblical leaders from the congregation to lead the congregation and partner in the ministry.
- All ministry vision and planning will be developed within the context of the vision and direction set by the Senior Pastor of the church.
- Masters level program in Biblical studies
- Three to five years previous experience as a pastor including teaching, counseling, supervising and discipling leaders.
- Fluency in Cantonese and Basic English is required. Fluency in Mandarin is helpful.
- Effective communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal).
- A clear demonstrated gifting in preaching the Word of God.
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Forms required; Trello and Asana preferred)
- Embrace and support the mission, vision and core beliefs of Oversea Chinese Mission.
- Demonstrate a call and for commitment to full-time ministry.
- Demonstrate a passion for pastoral ministry and a vision for the Cantonese speaking ministry within the church.
- Demonstrate an ability to teach, motivate and nurture the flock.
- Work closely with all areas of ministry within OCM to ensure a consistent vision for faith formation programs for all areas of the ministry.
- Communicate regularly with all levels of the Cantonese ministry including small groups, prayer groups, fellowship groups, and CE groups.
- Use appropriate judgment in the areas of discretion, sensitivity and confidentiality in providing counsel to the members seeking guidance.
- Be an integral part of the pastoral team seeking to coordinate and work together as one body and coordinating all programs with the church administration.
- Work with other staff members in areas interrelating with their ministries.
- Attend all staff meetings, be prepared to report on ministry activities, and regularly submit ministry reports to the Senior Pastor.
- Work closely under the leadership of the Senior Pastor providing counsel while humbly following the greater vision of the church.
- Provide pastoral vision and faith formation care for the Cantonese congregation of OCM.
- Develop Biblical programming which will provide for the Spiritual Formation of the Cantonese speaking members.
- Provide resources to equip parents to lead and nurture children in their faith formation and partnership with the Minister of Family Ministries.
- Provide leadership and direction to the various lay leaders participating in the Cantonese ministry.
- Provide spiritual leadership and mentoring for the Cantonese speaking fellowship groups in cooperation with the church wide Fellowship Ministry.
- Develop a consistent visitation and caring ministry in cooperation and coordination with the church wide Caring Ministry.
- Develop and lead prayer through groups and teaching in cooperation with the church wide Caring Ministry.
- Plan and lead the worship ministry of the Cantonese services including the teaching, musical, and liturgical aspects of the ministry in cooperation with the church wide Worship Ministry.
Teaching and curriculum development
- Serve as the guiding teacher/speaker for the Cantonese Christian Education program.
- Review and coordinate all teaching materials.
- Develop a long term plan for the spiritual development of the Cantonese speaking congregation.
- Work in cooperation with the Minister Family Ministries to coordinate and consistent teaching for the entire family.
Staff and volunteer management
- Lead regular meetings of the various groups in the Cantonese Ministry.
- Provide vision, training and mentorship for lay leadership of the Cantonese Ministry.
- Oversight of budget areas as assigned by the Steering Committee.
- Coordinate with the Administration the use of all equipment and proper care of the use of the facility.
- Develop yearly ministry calendar in cooperation with the church wide calendar.
- Attend weekly pastoral staff meeting.
- Pastor and head of Cantonese speaking ministry.
- Reports to the Senior Pastor.
- Supervises and promotes all Pastoral Cantonese Ministry.
- Receives support from Pastoral ministry team.
- Works closely with the Worship, Caring, Children’s, Youth, and Administration ministries.
- Develop a consistent and growing discipleship ministry
- Develop and grow a prayer ministry to include all parts of the congregation.
- Develop a growing leadership development ministry.
Interested qualified candidate please submit your cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Note: All job description subject to change according to ministerial needs with the approval of the Senior Pastor and the Steering Committee.